From: Peter Waller <peter.waller@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Detecting unsatisfied dependencies in gentoo-alt
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:16:11
1 Update: Sorry, I attached the wrong "output-prefix-withuse.txt" in the
2 previous e-mail. It is attached to this e-mail.
3
4 2009/5/20 Peter Waller <peter.waller@×××××.com>
5
6 > Dear list,
7 >
8 > I hope this can be of use to you. I have written a few hundred lines of
9 > python which can parse the dependency lines in the metadata cache. Now it is
10 > possible to generate a big list of unsatisfied dependencies, to detect
11 > packages which will not merge or run. I still haven't tuned the output so
12 > that it is totally optimal, I don't think, but it is better than nothing.
13 >
14 > The program can be run in several ways, and the source still needs tweaking
15 > to make it work differently. I have attached the output for a few different
16 > scenarios.
17 >
18 > output-portage.txt : The run on portage. It detects 7 packages which it
19 > thinks will not merge (under certain USE flag conditions). I did this to
20 > show that the program produces no false-positives on a system we know should
21 > be reasonably polished
22 > output-prefix-nouse.txt : A run on prefix, ignoring any dependencies pulled
23 > in by use flags. Reveals 40 missing packages which will probably prevent 32
24 > packages from merging (including metacity and nautilus)
25 > output-prefix-withuse.txt : A run on prefix, looking at all possible use
26 > flag combinations (ignoring those listed in use.mask. As darkside was saying
27 > on IRC, this could be used to detect new use flags which should obviously go
28 > in use.mask). This finds 219 packages which will probably not merge or run,
29 > and 347 packages missing from prefix.
30 >
31 > I know grobian had some idea of making this run nightly (It's nice and fast
32 > now, ~5 seconds with a warm disk cache, ~30 to run on the main portage
33 > tree). I'm happy to help out however I can to get this happening, just let
34 > me know what you need of it.
35 >
36 > I have various ideas of how it might be improved.
37 >
38 > * The only part of the dependency detection still missing is the OR-wise
39 > dependencies. This should not affect many packages, but does mean that the
40 > list is not quite complete.
41 > * When a missing dependency is found, it would be pretty easy to go and
42 > look at the graph of the required packages from portage, and generate a list
43 > of packages which would need to be pulled in to fix it.
44 > * Output could be prettier. I don't know exactly what is most useful yet
45 > though.
46 >
47 > Please, let me know what you think.
48 >
49 > Cheers,
50 >
51 > - Pete