From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:40:26
On 25-03-2009 09:34:37 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> I'm having trouble formulating a response to haubi's point because it > is highly divergent to my main goal(s) here. > > a) I want non prefix devs[1] to write ebuilds that work in prefix. > But, without knowledge of how Gentoo Prefix works - they shouldn't > need to know.
For many ebuilds they shouldn't even have to bother, in the ideal case.
> b) The current strategy of Gentoo Prefix keywords is if it compiles on > one arch, it generally will compile on the rest. (Not always true, but > mostly true)
I don't really agree on this one... The only think I assume is that if it carries one prefix keyword, that the ebuild is probably checked for the most (trivial) prefix issues, like configure flags, install locations, etc.
> So, in response to the above points. If we had PREFIX_KEYWORDS, it > should _default_ to all and then react to a failure. As in: > PREFIX_KEYWORDS="* -x86-interix"
I still don't like this. I do a lot of work to keyword packages which work, and maintain them on upgrades by having as much as possible installed so I catch failures. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level