From: Viktor Griph <viktor@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] branched prefix chaining
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 22:58:06
1 Hi,
2
3 I've just started playing with the prefix-chaining abilities, and I
4 find it quite useful. However what is the reason for not allowing
5 multiple read only prefixes in a chained prefix? I'm currently working
6 with a setup where the policy is that each application should be
7 installed in it's own prefix, which means that if there should be only
8 one log chain of prefixes it would possible get very long, whereas if
9 it were branching it could be kept at a relatively low depth.
10
11 I'm tempted to try to change this myself, but before I do I'd like to
12 get some input on why it was made the way it is. A few things I've
13 noticed about the chaining prefixes as they are now:
14 1) the prefixes are linked in with no particular order in portage, but
15 follows the chain in /etc/profile. I'm not sure if the portage order
16 makes any difference as I've very little experience with this yet, but
17 I think that those prefixes should be included in order as well.
18
19 My idea on how branching prefixes could be done is similar to how the
20 chaining prefixes work now, but with a little extra logic required to
21 not include the same prefix more than once.
22 I think that changing the current inclusion to a breath first tree
23 traversal with marking of already visited prefixes should work for the
24 portage tree. When it comes to the environment I really don't see why
25 it is made from /etc/profile recursively currently. Wouldn't it make
26 more sence to have env-update simply source the profile.env of the
27 parent prefix, and poin it with the env.d at the current level, and
28 possible include a utility for recursively doing env-update in several
29 prefix-chains if needed. At least that's the way I think would work
30 the best when it comes to multiple readonly prefixes. Is there any
31 reason why this wouldn't work? (Other than the fact that this would be
32 a depth first inclusion instead of a breath first inclusion as I
33 suggested for portage, if the order matters.)
36 Viktor Griph