From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] RFC: changing sys-apps/portage python API to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db and similar map objects
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:34:18
1 Hi,
2
3 As I integrate prefix support into mainline portage, I think it will
4 make more sense to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db
5 and similar map objects. This will also affect the portageq commands
6 which take a <root> parameter. The reason that I think $EROOT makes more
7 sense for these keys is that it will allow for multiple prefixes to
8 exist simultaneously in maps like portage.db.
9
10 This won't affect non-prefix users, since $EROOT == $ROOT when $EPREFIX
11 is empty. So, I'm asking here because if might affect prefix users who
12 use portageq, or any programs installed in a prefix that use the
13 sys-apps/portage python API. If necessary, I suppose that python
14 programs could have some compatibility code which checks whether or no
15 $EROOT is contained in portage.db, and fall back to "/" otherwise.
16 --
17 Thanks,
18 Zac