From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Bootstrap process for Linux users
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:58:21
1 >> Am I allowed to adapt the Solaris documentation do a documentation for
2 >> Linux Users?
3 >
4 > I think it is better first describe to the list what exactly you are
5 > going to alter. And we will discuss about it.
8 1.) Changing the title to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx.
9
10 2.) Adding distro packages that are required to install before bootstrapping.
11
12 3.) Removing those steps that are not required on linux.
13
14 4.) Finally some general hints how to handle other linux distributions.
17 I would need to do some additional research for it, starting with the
18 installation of a fresh Ubuntu. I expect that the only additional
19 requirement is the developer package of ncurses. I found out already
20 that the binutils step can be dropped and probably needs to be
21 dropped.
22
23 If other steps can be dropped would be a matter of discussion. I could
24 test suggestions easily by running the script I did yesterday.
25
26 However, I have the feeling that additional documents aren't really
27 welcome because of maintenance issues, which I can understand. So I
28 will go on with my own stuff now.
29
30 Regards
31