From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] alt-prefix on solaris: it rocks. plus badge.
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 17:48:58
1 Wicher Minnaard wrote:
2 > 2009/5/24 "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> <OT>
5 >> If you're interested in alt + solaris you may be interested in OSUNIX..
6 >> It's an OpenSolaris distro built from the ground up with ebuilds + pkgcore
7 >>
8 > It certainly looks interesting, I like the ideas. I will definately
9 > consider it when I need features that are available on Solaris but not
10 > on Linux. However, at the moment my VPS has a hole into which the peg
11 > that is Gentoo-alt-prefix fits quite snugly. Or is it that you were
12 > hoping that I'd make you an osunix badge? ;-)
15 Ummm.. my/our goal is to directly compete with sol10, sxce and
16 opensolaris (if you consider the latter real competition).. Why mess
17 with gentoo-alt-prefix + solaris when you can just use just about any
18 ebuild from the main tree on top of the whole core? I'm not doing bulk
19 imports, but with the exception of java related ebuilds almost
20 everything else will copy over. Updates of the entire OS will happen in
21 a blended way between gentoo and solaris.. I have a long list of project
22 benefits over gentoo and solaris individually, but whether any of that
23 would earn us an OSUNIX badge I'm not sure ;) I'll ping you with our
24 next release and a changelog to let you decide..
27 ./C