From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Forward-port of ld64 PPC support
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:22:05
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 Thanks for your continued work! I hope to be able to join your efforts,
4 first I'll try to (at last) get the bootstrap use your clang work.
5
6 Fabian
9 On 22-04-2015 19:17:04 +0200, Michael Weiser wrote:
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > I'd just quickly like to point anyone interested to
13 > https://github.com/michaelweiser/ld64 where I've done some work to
14 > forward-port the removed PPC support in ld64 to the latest versions.
15 >
16 > I imagine it might provide a way to retain support for older OS Xes on
17 > PPC without having to keep ancient versions of ld64 packages around.
18 > Also, because the newer versions support all the switches more current
19 > software (like compilers) expect them to have, it might help avoid
20 > having to patch other software for the old linker.
21 >
22 > I was trying to get llvm/clang-3.4.2 working on OS X 10.5 PPC in order
23 > to then move on to 3.6.0 and libc++ but got stuck on a mis-linking issue
24 > with ld64-127.2. The current version doesn't fix that but doesn't seem
25 > to work any worse either.
26 >
27 > I have updated ebuilds for binutils-apple-{4.2,5.1,6.1} floating around
28 > in case anyone's interested in giving them a go themselves. My iBook is
29 > on loan right now so I can't continue to work on it.
30 > --
31 > Hope it's of use to someone,
32 > Michael
36 Fabian Groffen