From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [grobian@gentoo.org: [gentoo-alt] Re: error configuring sys-devel/gcc-apple-4.0.1_p5363-r1]
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 07:33:41
1 On 15-05-2007 08:32:14 +0200, Elias Pipping wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I bootstrapped to the point just before 'emerge -e system',
5 > synced using an external subversion installation, and ran
6 > 'emerge -e system' afterwards
7 >
8 > the good news is: i get to 58/67 (gcc was 56) =)
9 >
10 > the bad news is: readline fails to build. however,
11 > the fix appears to be trivial:
12 >
13 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/bin/ld: warning can't open dynamic library:
14 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib referenced from:
15 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/lib/libreadline.dylib (checking for undefined
16 > symbols may be affected) (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
17 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols: _tgetent referenced
18 > from libreadline expected to be defined in
19 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
20
21 Hmmm... I'm affraid this isn't trivial. There is some fighting with
22 this going on. The short version is that I basically screwed it up.
23
24 > there's a couple of those for different symbols but all for the same
25 > library so i guess the above output is sufficient.
26 >
27 > $ dirs
28 > ~/Gentoo/usr/lib
29 > $ ls *ncurses*
30 > libncurses++.a libncurses.a libncurses.dylib
31 > $
32
33 libncurses.dylib is a symlink to ~/Gentoo/lib/libncurses.dylib is all is
34 well. otool -L ~/Gentoo/usr/lib/libncurses.dylib should also show a
35 reference to ~/Gentoo/lib/libncurses.version.dylib. Your mail below
36 shows this sort of is as expected.
37
38 > so (although i haven't tried this yet), having readline link
39 > against the unversioned dylib and/or creating a symlink for
40 > libncurses.5.dylib should solve this.
41
42 I'm puzzled why I don't have this problem myself. Unfortunately can't
43 access my Mac for the moment, so can't try.
44
45 > on a side note... is there a way for me to - given i created
46 > such a link - to *continue* with 'emerge -e system' where it
47 > left off instead of starting from the first package again?
48
49 -e means "empty", so that is why it starts over again. However the
50 point is that you need to have packages reemerged, so a normal emerge
51 system won't do the same, as it won't reinstall packages. Any chance
52 you kept the list? The last onces you could just give to emerge, e.g.
53 emerge --oneshot packageA packageB
54
55 > I don't know in what step, but a readline library had already
56 > been built before, apparently - with broken links:
57 >
58 > $ otool -L libncurses.dylib
59 > libncurses.dylib:
60 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version
61 > 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
62 > /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
63 > version 1.0.0)
64 > /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
65 > version 88.3.7)
66 > $ otool -L libreadline.dylib
67 > libreadline.dylib:
68 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib (compatibility
69 > version 5.0.0, current version 5.2.0)
70 > /Users/pipping/Gentoo/usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility
71 > version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
72
73 This I don't understand where it comes from. Maybe because you only
74 updated your snapshot/tree before emerge -e system. I'm not sure, but
75 if readline/curses was built before that (actually first curses, and
76 bash wants that, so I think that's it) then you get this wrong setup,
77 since in the current tree the library locations have changed. I'll make
78 a new snapshot soon for this.
79
80 > PS: (i didn't get what you said about the mailing list)
81
82 The mailinglists are really bad. they drop mail, and eat it when they
83 are not the To recipient (e.g. like Cc). Using the mailing list is fine
84 with me, but for it to work, you need to only send it to the list, and
85 you will only get an answer to the list, as the lists force that off.
89 Fabian Groffen
90 Gentoo on a different level
91 --
92 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list