From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:34:39
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Markus Duft <mduft@g.o> wrote:
> this whole proposal would fix multiple problems: > > 1) main and prefix keywords are different, but thats ok if prefix > keywords are PREFIX_KEYWORDS - we could do our own thing here. > > 2) it would solve the problem "how does portage know which packages can > i merge in a prefixed environment" - no need to trigger based on > inherit, EAPI - or something worse :) > > 3) it would ease porting to prefix: simply allow merging main ebeuilds > in prefix by adding GENTOO to the ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS. > > 4) it would make gentoo a "real" meta distro as haubi said, since > gentoo's (linux or prefix) "consumers" can do their own thing with > keywords completely different from ours. it would be no problem to use - > for example - keywords like "mduft" and "haubi" (lol), as long as they > are (fex) SALOMON_KEYWORDS. > > what about forwarding this thread to portage-dev@?
I'm having trouble formulating a response to haubi's point because it is highly divergent to my main goal(s) here. a) I want non prefix devs[1] to write ebuilds that work in prefix. But, without knowledge of how Gentoo Prefix works - they shouldn't need to know. b) The current strategy of Gentoo Prefix keywords is if it compiles on one arch, it generally will compile on the rest. (Not always true, but mostly true) So, in response to the above points. If we had PREFIX_KEYWORDS, it should _default_ to all and then react to a failure. As in: PREFIX_KEYWORDS="* -x86-interix" -Jeremy [1]: There is no way that the current Prefix dev team can handle all the ebuilds in the main tree. We need to leverage work that other people are already doing - similar to the way linux prefix profiles are inheriting gentoo-x86 profiles. We use the {x86,amd64,ia64} arch teams work to save us from duplicating it.