From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] profile's default use flags tuning
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:07:55
1 On 20-04-2007 15:30:55 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > In a profile's default USE flags I'd prefer to see only those enabled,
5 > that do not pull in more dependencies (to download) then found in
6 > 'system' anyway.
7 >
8 > Samples of what I mean:
9 > 'python': We cannot do anything without python: keep it enabled.
10
11 <rant>
12 Eh what? It's just a frikkin USE-flag, and I'd like to avoid having as
13 much as python as I can on my systems!
14 </rant>
15
16 > 'zlib': Even if zlib is not USEd, it is part of 'system': keep enabled.
17 > 'berkdb': If not USEd, sys-libs/db is not needed: disable by default.
18 > 'unicode': does not pull in anything, but IMO is state of the art ?
19 >
20 > For 'fortran', this pulls in dev-libs/gmp and dev-libs/mpfr, so I'd like
21 > to see it disabled by default.
22
23 I just got scared by the "sane defaults" message from the base profile.
24 But I guess since I don't do this on Solaris and Darwin either, that it
25 is also sane not to have it on by default.
26
27 > As a result, I'd say to have these use flags (on linux) as default:
28 > ncurses: required by bash
29 > python: required by portage
30 > ssl: required by openssh (pulled in by virtual/ssh on linux)
31 > readline: required by baselayoyt-prefix (why?)
32 > zlib: required by openssh
33 > unicode: nice to have without additional dependencies
34 > more ?
35
36 What does "required" mean? If it's required, it shouldn't be an
37 optional USE-flag. I think you confuse dependencies with extra features
38 here.
39
40 I dropped berkdb in favour of ssl. I'm not sure if that is good, as
41 you might want a python with some sort of database backend compiled in,
42 but I'm not sure.
46 Fabian Groffen
47 Gentoo on a different level
50 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list