From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Cross EPREFIX portage
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:53:43
1 Hi!
2
3 Some time ago I talked on this list about my plans on using portage to
4 emerge packages for native Windows under Interix. To be able to do this,
5 haubi and I had to "help" portage a little :) we now have a patch ready with
6 which this is possible. Not only windows draws advantages out of the patch,
7 but now it is possible to create a "child" prefix. You can create a base
8 EPREFIX, which contains a system that doesn't change too often, and then
9 merge packages to different prefixes building upon that parent prefix.
10
11 For now, only DEPEND's are resolved from the parent EPREFIX -- RDEPEND and
12 PDEPEND *must* be installed in the child EPREFIX. If a DEPEND cannot be
13 merged into the parent prefix, portage tries to merge is to the child.
14
15 Maybe some of you can have a brief look at the patch, and if there are no
16 objections, I'd like to add the patch to the portage ebuild conditionally
17 with a USE flag for more testing. If it does not destroy anything (I greatly
18 doubt that it does...), it would be great to see it going into svn...
19
20 P.S.: haubi wrote up some comments on the patch and other things... I
21 attached them as-is, so ask haubi :)
22 P.S.S.: the patch is against anonsvn-checked-out trunk of prefix branch...
23
24 Cheers, Markus

prefix-cross-trunk.patch.notes application/octet-stream
prefix-cross-trunk.patch application/octet-stream