From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Bootstrapping behind an HTTP proxy
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:54:03
1 On 20-05-2010 20:48:42 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
2 > Ideally it should be as simple as that; just set the http_proxy
3 > environment variable.
4 >
5 > Two concerns though--first of all, at certain times a workaround of mine
6 > has been to put proxy info in etc/wgetrc (besides having http_proxy
7 > defined). Bug 315421 has the story. I have not checked if the etc/wgetrc
8 > workaround was needed only for a couple of days, or if it is still needed.
9 >
10 > Second, the `emerge --sync' step causes subversion to be used. It seems
11 > that subversion requires ~/.subversion/servers to be set up. Long ago I
12
13 This is really old. Bootstraps no longer use a subversion-based tree,
14 but an rsync one. I don't know how rsync plays with a proxy setup, but
15 in the worst case it would mean to resort to webrsync, which uses plain
16 wget over http.
17
18 > So, if it can't be helped that an HTTP proxy requires non-trivial steps
19 > to be taken then IMHO the webpage should provide advice. Otherwise there
20 > will be mail threads like this one, and bugs filed, and worst of all,
21 > potential enterprise users will ditch Gentoo Prefix because it does not
22 > Just Work.
23
24 I have nothing against adding pointers how to use a proxy. We first
25 have to fix Portage though, because I don't like to document hacks
26 because of bugs in Portage.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level