From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Prefix on a Gentoo host: sharing the Portage tree
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:05:41
1 I'm interested in running Prefix on a Gentoo host, and I wanted to use
2 the Portage tree from the host instead of installing a duplicate.
3 This seems reasonable, but bootstrapping fails with:
4
5 $ ./bootstrap-prefix.sh "$EPREFIX" portage
6
7 * setting up some guessed defaults
8 * Your profile is set to /…/usr/portage/profiles/prefix/linux/amd64.
9 ./bootstrap-prefix.sh: line 368: /…/usr/portage/profiles/prefix/linux/amd64/make.defaults: Permission denied
10 ./bootstrap-prefix.sh: line 369: /…/usr/portage/profiles/prefix/linux/amd64/make.defaults: Permission denied
11
12 * Your make.globals is prepared for your current bootstrap
13 ./bootstrap-prefix.sh: line 387: /…/usr/portage/profiles/pre* Your make.globals is prepared for your current bootstrap
14 ./bootstrap-prefix.sh: line 387: /…/usr/portage/profiles/prefix/profile.bashrc: Permission denied
15 ./bootstrap-prefix.sh: line 391: /…/usr/portage/profiles/prefix/package.provided: Permission denied
16 * prefix-portage successfully bootstrapped
17
18 Some thoughts:
19
20 * The failing commands should probably be `|| die …`, since
21 `prefix-portage successfully bootstrapped` is probably not true.
22
23 * Couldn't these profile overrides happen in
24 "${EPREFIX}/etc/portage/profile" (see portage(5))?
25
26 * How does Prefix currently detect and handle profile changes due to
27 rsync updates? Using “${EPREFIX}/etc/portage/profile” would seem to
28 be a good way to avoid getting clobbered.
29
30 Taking a longer view in this direction, it would be nice to see an
31 interface that allowed lighter weight prefixes, along the lines of
32 Python's `pip install --user …`. This would leave the user exposed to
33 updates in the host system breaking some of their prefixed packages,
34 but it would make setting up a prefix a lot faster if you just wanted
35 to install one extra package. Also, `revdep-rebuild` should be able
36 to find and fix those breakages automatically.
37
38 I suppose the problem is not “how would maintenance work?”, but
39 figuring out how to build such a chimeric system in the first place.
40 Portage would have to read from overlayed `/var/db/pkg` instances, and
41 then adjust include and linker flags on the fly. Can someone with
42 more experience in this area give me a quick “that's crazy because …”,
43 so it will stop bothering me?
44
45 Thanks,
46 Trevor