From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefix-portage as root
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:48:48
1 On 28-02-2008 19:40:57 +0100, Michael Weiser wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:40:31AM -0500, John Gibson wrote:
3 >
4 > >> The biggest problem you're going to run into is that in "root-mode"
5 > >> (privileged), Prefix will currently act as if it is "unprivileged", so
6 > >> don't create any users, or chmod to any users other than the running
7 > >> user itself.
8 >
9 > This would be a real showstoppper for me, especially permissions.
10 >
11 > >> This is a known limitation, that we obviously look for a solution for.
12 > >> Another Google Summer of Code project?
13 >
14 > Is there an easy (or hard ;) way to switch Prefix back into privileged
15 > mode?
16
17 Unfortunately not easy. This has been admittedly a short sighted
18 decision to assume Prefix == unprivileged. There are conditionals that
19 just say "use prefix || chmod whatever"...
20
21 > Are there hooks for (re-)adding the useradd/del functionality? There's
22 > guides on creating users using dscl which should make it easy to provide
23 > a useradd/del replacement.
24 >
25 > > I don't know how workable this would be, but we could run prefix as an
26 > > unprivileged user and then use sudo in the user creation functions /
27 > > chowning portions. That way you wouldn't have to worry about prefix
28 > > trampling stuff outside of the prefix, but still get some of the other
29 > > features of being root.
30 >
31 > I think, I'll give this one a go: http://www.macpronews.com/2008/0117.html.
32 > This should be implementable as a FEATURES="sandbox-macos"
33
34 That is quite interesting, and may be usable for us.
38 Fabian Groffen
39 Gentoo on a different level
40 --
41 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list