From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Names of Prefix variants
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:51:01
1 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On 26-10-2013 10:13:29 +0200, Ruud Koolen wrote:
4 >> On Saturday 26 October 2013 09:41:28 Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 >>> As you may or may not know, the prefix USE-flag is a hack that works in
6 >>> Portage, but violates specifications, because it is never defined in
7 >>> ebuilds that need it. Discussions here go back to not wanting to show
8 >>> elibc_XXX, kernel_XXX in IUSE (because user can't influence them) and
9 >>> prefix likewise. We should still solve this problem. While we're at
10 >>> it, I'd like to tackle bug #473598 [1] at the same time.
11 >>
12 >> Not so! Any USE flags that are globally masked or forced are in the
13 >> implicit-iuse list. Or is that what you meant as the hack? I think it's
14 >> specified somewhere.
15 >
16 > Last thing I understood, forcing it -- making it global -- is a Portage
17 > behaviour, eapi-5 introduced some variable to define it or so. So maybe
18 > my entire comment is moot considering we aim for >=eapi-5.
19
20 USE prefix is a separate issue. Let's bring it to dev mailing list
21 afterwards.
22
23 >> > Anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of using USE_EXPAND.
24 >> > There's also a USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, and something like this [2] looks
25 >> > good.
26 >>
27 >> USE_EXPAND is fine too, it's just a special case of a USE flag, after
28 >> all. It is perhaps more elegant than plain USE flags, and my plan was
29 >> based on kernel_* and friends anyway.
30 >>
31 >> > In other words, I could think of having EPREFIX="$classic" or
32 >> > EPREFIX_TARGET="$rap", which could default to $classic in
33 >> > base/make.defaults.
34 >>
35 >> It should default to "" in base/make.defaults. Only the prefix profiles should
36 >> set it to anything nonempty.
37 >
38 > Have given this some thoughts, and maybe we need the global switch
39 > whether or not prefix is enabled, and an additional features list to
40 > select the variant of prefix (rap in this case). Maybe that's complete
41 > overkill, and your variant's nicer. Anyway, a migration path or
42 > backwards compatability is also important since use prefix is widely
43 > adopted in gx86 nowadays...
44
45 classic and rap Prefix is matter of libc anyway.
46
47 How about a new USE flag as elibc_external? it's self-informative.
48 Define it on Linux variants of Prefix classic.
49
50 Then hacks in the ebuild can be written as
51
52 if use prefix && use elibc_external then ...
53
54 The question is whether to define elibc_glibc at the same time,
55
56 by "grep elibc_glibc -r /usr/portage", one example of elibc_glibc is
57
58 elibc_glibc? ( sys-libs/glibc )
59
60 where elibc_glibc should not be defined (at present we hack by adding
61 sys-libs/glibc:0 into package.provides) but another is
62
63 $(use !elibc_glibc || echo --without-included-regex)
64
65 where elibc_glibc should be defined.
66
67 ... It seems resonable to define elibc_external and elibc_glibc at the
68 same times.
69
70 Cheers,
71 Benda