From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Allow non-interactive bootstrap to be stopped at arbitrary stages
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 11:35:16
1 Hi Sam,
2
3 Sam Pfeiffer <sammypfeiffer@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > First, thanks for explaining your proposal in a detailed way. I
6 > sincerely didn't understand exactly what you meant.
7 >
8 > Let me explain further. I found "complicated" to know what environment
9 > variables I needed to set manually in order to make use of the
10 > bootstrap script calling it in the way you just presented. I did
11 > attempt to do it previously and failed miserably. When looking at the
12 > bootstrap-prefix.sh script there are a lot of variables in a 3000+
13 > lines script, it's kind of daunting. And when your goal is "I just
14 > need this to bootstrap, and it looks very complicated" you want to the
15 > most automated way (someone smart wrote the automated way!).
16 >
17 > Now I understood what do I need to set up.
18 > In hindsight, it was pretty obvious, as the interactive script itself spits out for me:
19 > EPREFIX=/tmp/gentoo
20 > CHOST=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
21 > PATH=/tmp/gentoo/usr/bin:/tmp/gentoo/bin:/tmp/gentoo/tmp/usr/bin:/tmp/gentoo/tmp/bin:/tmp/gentoo/tmp/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
22 > MAKEOPTS=-j5
23
24 You can cross out CHOST and MAKEOPTS. Do you think setting EPREFIX and
25 PATH a complex task to do?
26
27 The "same codepath" you mentioned just sets these 4 variables.
30 I don't like this patch for extreme reproducibility. But that's only my
31 personal opinion. You can keep your version of bootstrap script for
32 your purpose or approach grobian for an alternative review.
33
34 > [...]
35
36 > Meanwhile using the same codepath we are already using "guarantees" I
37 > don't need to fight any of that. Neither me, you or the next
38 > maintainer. To me, the mental model I need to create and maintain in
39 > my head from the version I'm proposing is tinier than from the one
40 > where I need to figure out the environment variables and also
41 > copy-paste the MAKEOPTS guesswork.
42
43 I am very surprised that you need copy-paste and guesswork for the 4
44 variables.
45
47
48 Yours,