From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] ld wrapper and cross-binutils
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 17:03:47
1 I (semi intentionally) dropped cross support from the "rewrite", for it
2 was too complex for me to understand. Care to share your patch so I can
3 look at merging it?
4
5 Thanks,
6 Fabian
7
8 On 03-04-2016 18:18:06 +0200, Michael Weiser wrote:
9 > Hi again, ;)
10 >
11 > I'm once again looking into building cross toolchains on OS X using
12 > Prefix and crossdev. Thanks to his Greg's patch to crossdev at
13 > https://github.com/gmt/crossdev-prefix-compat-fixes/tree/master/portage_diffs
14 > I have a much less bleak outlook on trying than last time. I haven't got
15 > a working toolchain yet but want to share my experiences early so I
16 > don't waste time on things that can never work.
17 >
18 > For now I ran into one quite basic problem: The ld wrapper from
19 > binutils-config-5 does not support distinguishing between CHOST and
20 > CTARGET. So after successfully installing e.g.
21 > cross-arm-something-or-other/binutils it will report
22 >
23 > michael@osx1011:~ # arm-something-or-other-ld
24 > sh: binutils-config: command not found
25 > arm-something-or-other-ld: failed to locate the real ld!
26 >
27 > dtruss -n ld show that it's looking for
28 > EPREFIX/usr/CHOST/binutils-bin/CURRENT-from-etc-env.d-bintuils-config-CHOST/arm-something-or-other-ld
29 > which obviously is quite wrong.
30 >
31 > I've generated a patch that makes ldwrapper look at all the config-*
32 > files in /etc/env.d/binutils and compare their names to the name it was
33 > called with. If a match is found the name of that config is used as
34 > CTARGET for constructing paths to ld which makes the above call work as
35 > expected.
36 >
37 > Would there be any interest in adding this functionality to Prefix?
38 > --
39 > Micha
40 > Dagegen!
44 Fabian Groffen