From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:51:07
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Michael Haubenwallner
2 <haubi@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 00:30 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
4 >
5 >> So, since we are already in a hugely reactive mode..why don't we just
6 >> get rid of prefix keywords completely?
7 >
8 > Having the unstable keyword in an ebuild indicates that this package
9 > should work on that platform - or more exactly, a previous version was
10 > likely to at least compile there.
11 >
12 > When there are no keywords, prefix-users won't see if they would need to
13 > do a *new* port (or at least a test) for their platform or just to *fix*
14 > an existing port. IMO the difference is that if one does not really need
15 > a package, trying to *fix* might be a lower just-for-fun-barrier than to
16 > do it *new*.
17 >
18 >>  It gets hairy if the arch most
19 >> always needs patches (FreeMiNT/IRIX comes to mind). However, this is one
20 >> reason that we ask for everyone's help in submitting patches upstream.
21 >
22 > Dropping all keywords wont change anything here...
23 >
24 >> Before anyone says "but, that will be much more likely to break my
25 >> prefix" - I refute that because we are already running on this policy
26 >> with regards to the automatic bumps. For the most part, it is smooth.
27 >> Major packages are masked if someone hasn't tested them yet (eg. gcc & bash)
28 >
29 > Agreed, but I like my keywords ;)
30 >
31 > /haubi/
34 Ok, I'll stop pushing this idea but it was at least valuable in
35 exploring alternatives. Maybe in X months we can relook this issue and
36 see if it still makes sense, etc.
37
38 Thanks,
39 Jeremy