From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:50:37
On 24-06-2008 17:54:42 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> > Neither of these issues is a huge deal, as we're happy just > > distributing new images from time to time and not making our devs deal > > with system management, but there've been several times when I've > > wanted these flexibilities from portage. > > So you want to avoid having your devs dealing with system management > yet allow them to customize the install? Is that right? I imagine > deploying a NFS mounted 'image' may be easier and allow the sys-admins > (you) to update the prefix when you want to. However, I do know that > grobian has worked on a "stage4" type install that allow you to > 'transplant' prefixes much like you are describing. I will let him > comment on that. Sorry I am of not much help at the moment.
Portage is not designed to be "handed over" to anyone. However, there should be just one place in Portage itself where the user is set (this pym/portage/ It may implicitly encode it in installed packages, but this is due to the nature of those packages that do that themselves. Maybe one of the two following things is interesting to you: - binary packages Prefix Portage can install from binary packages made for "another" Prefix. You could use them to get each developer to quickly get up to speed, in their own Prefix installation. - alternate Prefix Setting the EPREFIX variable in the environment makes Portage respect that location, and install in the location pointed to by $EPREFIX. This is what Jeremy hinted on, and would allow an existing Prefix installation to "clone" itself by installing in another location. The username problems wouldn't go away, but I guess we could fix that in the ebuild (right now it copies them from the current Portage). Binary packages are somewhat tested, the alternate Prefix I really played with, but haubi and mduft use it, if I recall correctly. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level -- gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list