From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] portable EPREFIX? ... crossdev toolchains, anyone?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:00:00
1 On Fri, 27 May 2011 11:42:21 -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > The EPREFIX suggested on the bootstrap page[1] (at least for Mac) is
5 > completely non-portable, since EPREFIX=${HOME}/Gentoo will change
6 > with
7 > every single username. This prevents people like me from sharing
8 > useful things like crossdev toolchains that might not be so easy for
9 > others to put together.
10
11 <snip a bunch of crossdev stuff, good stuff by the way>
12
13 So, you are providing binaries that you would like to share? There
14 isn't a graceful solution, but there is chpathtool[1] that is
15 automatically used when emerging binpkgs if "build EPREFIX" != "your
16 EPREFIX" - the catch? The build prefix must be longer than then new
17 prefix. I build binaries in a prefix that is 97 characters long,
18 assuming that the average user will pick a shorter location ;) This
19 greatly reduces the time for a new prefix installation (down to as quick
20 as 5-7 minutes). In my opinion, changing the docs is even less of a
21 solution.
22
23 Anyway, maybe that bit of info will help your mission. ;)
24
25 -Jeremy
26
27 [1]: