From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] portable EPREFIX? ... crossdev toolchains, anyone?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:00:00
On Fri, 27 May 2011 11:42:21 -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Hi list, > > The EPREFIX suggested on the bootstrap page[1] (at least for Mac) is > completely non-portable, since EPREFIX=${HOME}/Gentoo will change > with > every single username. This prevents people like me from sharing > useful things like crossdev toolchains that might not be so easy for > others to put together.
<snip a bunch of crossdev stuff, good stuff by the way> So, you are providing binaries that you would like to share? There isn't a graceful solution, but there is chpathtool[1] that is automatically used when emerging binpkgs if "build EPREFIX" != "your EPREFIX" - the catch? The build prefix must be longer than then new prefix. I build binaries in a prefix that is 97 characters long, assuming that the average user will pick a shorter location ;) This greatly reduces the time for a new prefix installation (down to as quick as 5-7 minutes). In my opinion, changing the docs is even less of a solution. Anyway, maybe that bit of info will help your mission. ;) -Jeremy [1]:;a=blob;f=src/chpathtool.c;h=c4e481bbb26ffe9ea52db6ecccfebf3073686704;hb=refs/heads/prefix [1]: (shortened link)

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] portable EPREFIX? ... crossdev toolchains, anyone? Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>