From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] problem installing gentoo prefix on debian buster
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 10:38:00
1 Michael,
2
3 Just to elaborate a bit. There is a newer version of m4, that is
4 attempted first. However, newer versions of GNU software now require
5 the xz decompressor to unpack. In your scenario, an old version of m4
6 is being compiled. One of the reasons for choosing an older version is
7 because of not being able to unpack the newer versions due to lack of
8 xz. Odd though, as the latest m4 (1.4.18) is also available as .gz and
9 bz2.
10
11 We'd need a larger part of the stage1 log to see why the newer versions
12 didn't work.
13
14 Fabian
15