From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:30:46
On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 07:50 +0100, Markus Duft wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 00:30 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> > Any other thoughts?
> however i talked to haubi a while back about keywords. he for sure has > some more wise words to say :)
LOL! But indeed, my brain cooks an idea for some time now - time to serve (thank you for the trigger!): The whole thing isn't just about keywords, but they are a major part of it. <braindump> The title could be somehow like: How to use "Gentoo, the Meta Distribution" to create my own "Enterprise Distribution"? where "Gentoo" stands for either "Gentoo Linux" or "Gentoo Prefix". When I say "my own Enterprise Distribution", I mean doing my own arch testing and stable keywords, for a small number of packages - less than 200 here including @system. This does not mean to throw away upstream (=Gentoo) keywords, but reuse them as unstable keywords for my distribution, so my distro-users can easily emerge packages which are either upstream-stable or even -unstable, assuming they know what they do then. Additionally, I want to have my own release cycles, using my own release profiles. This all implies that I have my own tree in some scm, ideally with only my release profiles and my keywords as the only difference to upstream. Now for how to specify the keywords: Assume upstream ebuild contains: KEYWORDS='amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc x86' my own ebuild then might contain: KEYWORDS='amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc x86' HAUBIDIST_KEYWORDS='amd64 hppa ~x86' Now I want to tell PM which ebuild-keywords to use for my distro-instance, where only 1. and 2. really would make sense (sample for non-Prefix): 1. 'amd64 hppa ~x86' 2. 'amd64 hppa ~mips ~ppc ~x86' 3. 'amd64 hppa ~mips ~ppc x86' 4. '~amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc ~x86' 5. 'amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc x86' This could be done by telling PM how to merge KEYWORDS and HAUBIDIST_KEYWORDS in etc/make.conf or profile/make.conf, like: 1. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST' 2. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST ~GENTOO' 3. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST GENTOO' 4. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='~HAUBIDIST GENTOO' 5. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='GENTOO ~HAUBIDIST' where 'HAUBIDIST' maps to 'HAUBIDIST_KEYWORDS' and 'GENTOO' maps to 'KEYWORDS'. This eventually also could apply for Gentoo Hardened, to not have that large list in package.mask, but HARDENED_KEYWORDS in the ebuilds, and ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HARDENED ~GENTOO' in make.conf. Because both KEYWORDS and HARDENED_KEYWORDS would be in upstream ebuild, this also could work for HAUBIDIST in make.conf: ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST ~HARDENED' For Prefix: We could have PREFIX_KEYWORDS in the maintree-ebuild, and for HAUBIDIST - when it is a Prefix distro - to have in make.conf: ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST ~PREFIX' For the vanilla "Gentoo Prefix Distribution", this would mean to have: ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='PREFIX' the vanilla "Gentoo Linux Distribution" would ship with: ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='GENTOO' and the vanilla "Gentoo Hardened Linux Distribution" with: ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HARDENED' What else would be needed for the whole topic: * helpers to manage/merge/update my private distro-tree. * helpers to set up my private distro-mirror. * repoman support for additional keyword variables * ... </braindump> Thoughts? /haubi/ -- Michael Haubenwallner Gentoo on a different level

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?) Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>