From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Names of Prefix variants
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 08:13:38
1 On Saturday 26 October 2013 09:41:28 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > As you may or may not know, the prefix USE-flag is a hack that works in
3 > Portage, but violates specifications, because it is never defined in
4 > ebuilds that need it. Discussions here go back to not wanting to show
5 > elibc_XXX, kernel_XXX in IUSE (because user can't influence them) and
6 > prefix likewise. We should still solve this problem. While we're at
7 > it, I'd like to tackle bug #473598 [1] at the same time.
8
9 Not so! Any USE flags that are globally masked or forced are in the
10 implicit-iuse list. Or is that what you meant as the hack? I think it's
11 specified somewhere.
12
13 > Anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of using USE_EXPAND.
14 > There's also a USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, and something like this [2] looks
15 > good.
16
17 USE_EXPAND is fine too, it's just a special case of a USE flag, after all. It
18 is perhaps more elegant than plain USE flags, and my plan was based on
19 kernel_* and friends anyway.
20
21 > In other words, I could think of having EPREFIX="$classic" or
22 > EPREFIX_TARGET="$rap", which could default to $classic in
23 > base/make.defaults.
24
25 It should default to "" in base/make.defaults. Only the prefix profiles should
26 set it to anything nonempty.
27
28 -- Ruud