From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] glibc with prefix
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:32:23
1 On 02/15/2013 12:11 PM, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
2 > 14.02.2013, 12:10, "Michael Haubenwallner" <haubi@g.o>:
3 >> Another reason to avoid glibc on proprietary Unix systems is supportability:
4 >> Unix vendors unlikely would support such setups, so even when there's a bug
5 >> in their kernel, we'd be on our own. Same basically stands for binutils.
6 >>
7 >> Example: Currently I'm working with AIX kernel developers to nail down why a
8 >> (quite large) C++ executable built with (my old stable snapshot of) Prefix'
9 >> gcc-4.2.4 does not start on aix7.1 - it does not even enter main(), while it
10 >> works on aix5.3 and aix6.1. They tried to close the report when they heard of
11 >> gcc, but continued when they were told that gcc just generates assembler code
12 >> subsequently processed by their native binutils.
13 >
14 > Out of curiosity: how does glibc prevent you from using native binutils?
15
16 Well, technically it does not. However, both libc and binutils are playing in a
17 similar league that could be named like "core unix system", and I do expect any
18 proprietary vendor to refuse support when using another either libc or binutils.
19
20 /haubi/