From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefix-portage as root
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:53:08
1 could you explain why amanda or what ever application needs to be
2 root:amanda ? i would think that running it as root would work. if
3 it wont, do you know why ?
4
5 On Feb 28, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Michael Weiser wrote:
6
7 > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:40:31AM -0500, John Gibson wrote:
8 >
9 >>> The biggest problem you're going to run into is that in "root-mode"
10 >>> (privileged), Prefix will currently act as if it is
11 >>> "unprivileged", so
12 >>> don't create any users, or chmod to any users other than the running
13 >>> user itself.
14 >
15 > This would be a real showstoppper for me, especially permissions.
16 >
17 >>> This is a known limitation, that we obviously look for a solution
18 >>> for.
19 >>> Another Google Summer of Code project?
20 >
21 > Is there an easy (or hard ;) way to switch Prefix back into privileged
22 > mode?
23 >
24 > Are there hooks for (re-)adding the useradd/del functionality? There's
25 > guides on creating users using dscl which should make it easy to
26 > provide
27 > a useradd/del replacement.
28 >
29 >> I don't know how workable this would be, but we could run prefix
30 >> as an
31 >> unprivileged user and then use sudo in the user creation functions /
32 >> chowning portions. That way you wouldn't have to worry about prefix
33 >> trampling stuff outside of the prefix, but still get some of the
34 >> other
35 >> features of being root.
36 >
37 > I think, I'll give this one a go: http://www.macpronews.com/
38 > 2008/0117.html.
39 > This should be implementable as a FEATURES="sandbox-macos"
40 > --
41 > Greetrings,
42 > Micha
43 > --