From: Dag Sverre Seljebotn <dagss@××××××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:33:27
1 Just stumbled over Gentoo prefix and it seems very exciting (see my
2 usecase below). My question:
3
4 Is it possible to use the host system's bash/gcc/... when having a
5 Gentoo prefix on Mac or Linux? I.e. a system for setting up software
6 which doesn't have *too* much redundancy with the host system. One would
7 then set PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, MANPATH etc. to use it as an overlay
8 over the host system.
9
10 It wouldn't need to support all the Gentoo packages, just a select subset.
11
12 All the bootstrapping guides assume setting up a seperate toolchain for
13 Gentoo prefix. I know very little about Gentoo, but am eager to read up
14 on it. But just a tiny link to the right docs can save me massive
15 amounts of time now in the beginning.
16
17 Background:
18
19 The Python scientific/engineering open source community has a (widely
20 recognized) problem of distributing our software and integrating that
21 distribution mechanism into our development workflow.
22
23 Gentoo prefix seems like a perfect fit:
24 - Lots of scientific users don't have root access (run software on
25 clusters)
26 - Need to distribute software fast and iteratively to coworkers on the
27 other side of the world with a totally different setup
28 - Linux, Mac, Solaris, Windows...
29
30 There's lot of half-baked distribution solution available (sagemath.org,
31 femhub.org, enthought.com, pythonxy.com), but Gentoo seems like a better
32 choice for my project for several reasons.
33
34 Dag Sverre Seljebotn