From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] AIX linking adventure
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:49:35
1 Hi Perry!
2
3 On 02/08/2011 01:35 AM, Perry Smith wrote:
4 > This is *not* ready for prime time but I thought I would mention it here.
5 >
6 > I wrote a front end to AIX's ld command as well as a relink command I'm calling "rl".
7
8 Actually, in Prefix we already do wrap AIX' ld in sys-devel/binutils-config
9 to get the runpaths (the -blibpath argument) right.
10
11 At the moment I'm trying another thing to get full "soname" support,
12 both with and without libtool, using Import Files. There is an RFC[1]
13 for the way I want to have shared libraries being created on AIX.
14
15 However, I'm still unsure if we actually should use the '# autoload' thingy,
16 but ignore the auto-dependency problem[2] instead.
17
18 [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2011-01/msg00023.html
19 [2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_b7aec69c70e257206ac49f74a41c9af6.xml
20
21 Additionally, for packages not using libtool, there's another ld wrapper in
22 sys-devel/native-cctools waiting for checkin here to support the '-soname' flag
23 known on ELF (Linux), creating the shared libraries according to above way[1].
24 Eventually, this second wrapper would be merged into binutils-config's wrapper.
25
26 > You can see them here:
27 >
28 > https://github.com/pedz/aixbin
29
30 Commenting on 'Readme.markdown' found there:
31 Why do you move '-blibpath' arguments to '-L' arguments?
32 IMO, the other way round would make more sense actually.
33 Why do you need 'rl' (relink) at all?
34
35 > I've used this only for Ruby -- and it was in fact Ruby that caused me to do this.
36 > Their out of the box system does not work at all for AIX if the prefix directory is not the same as GCC's.
37 > WIth this, I can now use rvm on AIX and do "rvm install 1.9.1" and it will complete successfully without my fingers leaving my hands.
38
39 Haven't used/installed Ruby on any platform yet: What is 'rvm' ?
40
41 > I mentioned this idea on this list before but it didn't fly very well.
42 > I'm not sure if it was completely understood.
43
44 I fail to find that post you're referring to. Has it been within one
45 of the threads we already created together, and I've overlooked it?
46
47 > This is more of a proof of concept at this stage. I'm going to putter around and try and use it on other packages.
48
49 For packages not aware of AIX at all:
50 How would this require their build systems to be patched?
51
52 > "rl" could be enhanced to take "from" and "to" directories.
53 > If you wanted to change files installed in /some/old/directory and put them into /some/new/directory, rl could easily modified do that.
54
55 In which context do you need this use case?
56 And how would you do that on Linux?
57
58 /haubi/
59 --