From: Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Usable platforms for prefix gentoo on Linux?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:24:29
1 So far so good, gcc-4.2.2 emerged with no problems! 19 more packages to
2 go of `emerge -e system'.
3
4 Maybe I should now run the same step-by-step script on an FC6 machine
5 and a non-cooperative machine like SUSE Enterprise 9.3 in a kind of
6 parallel slalom. If the same EPREFIX path string is used on both machines
7 the console output should be largely the same, and it may be possible
8 to pinpoint the place where the SUSE bootstrap goes wrong.
9
10 I need to set up a faster machine with FC6 though...
11
12 --Rabbe
15 Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
16 > Thanks for pointers to platforms.
17 >
18 > I have a Fedora Core box running as print server (that distro happens to
19 > be friendly to the Brother HL2030 ultra-budget laser printer), and I found
20 > out that it is FC6 and there is some GBs of disk available. So I have
21 > started a prefix-gentoo bootstrapping script on it this morning. It runs
22 > at 650 MHz and it takes a while. Right now it is at package 31 out of 60
23 > in `emerge -e system', this is soon before the gcc-4.2.2 hurdle.
24 > Crossed fingers thus,
25 >
26 > --Rabbe
29 > Matt Michalowski wrote:
30 >> Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
31 >>> I am having problems with all Linux platforms that I have tried so far,
32 >>> so now I am looking for some convenient workable platform for reference
33 >>> purposes. Which may of course boil down to Fedora Core, but it would be
34 >>> interesting to hear other success stories too.
35 >>>
36 >> I myself have managed to bootstrap and get it fully working on:
37 >> Debian Sarge x86
38 >> Debian Etch x86
39 >> Debian Etch amd64
40 >> Ubuntu Feisty x86