From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] stable keywords for bootstrapping
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:03:15
1 On Apr 19, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > On 19-04-2008 16:07:19 -0500, matt hull wrote:
4 >>> Due to numerous occasions of b0rkerage in the bootstrap snapshots,
5 >>> bootstrapping has failed. A selection of issues that come up:
6 >>> - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q is the latest version in the snapshot, but this
7 >>> version
8 >>> has been removed, and its distfiles have become unavailable (e.g.
9 >>> rsync-3.0.0_pre2)
10 >>> - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q was added in the snapshot, but breaks several
11 >>> packages
12 >>> (e.g. gcc-4.3.0)
13 >>
14 >> perhaps we need to keep older versions for bootstrap ?
15 >
16 > I don't think that's a problem. In general the highest version in the
17 > tree is used at the moment due to our single keywordness.
18 >
19 >>> To aid the pre-sync stage, I am considering to switch to usign
20 >>> stable
21 >>> keywords for the system packages *only*. That is, the bootstrap
22 >>> process
23 >>> is done with stable keywords, all other packages remain ~arch and
24 >>> hence
25 >>> a user has to add ~arch to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS after bootstrapping
26 >>> finishes.
27 >>
28 >> i would think it would be better to use stable and testing like
29 >> normal. i
30 >> would like to try to keep stable here.
31 >
32 > That's very unlikely to happen from my point of view. For that we
33 > really need a bunch of devs that are going to maintain the stable
34 > keywords like the arch teams currently do for gentoo-x86.
35
36 i know it is diffucult. i was thinking leave it as is ~, then if it
37 is tested and no bugs after 30 days, mark it stable. for the most
38 part the tree will be ~ since we have a lack of dev's and testers.
39 and for the boot strap, use stable only with bug fixes ?. and leave
40 the stable and boot strap packages in the tree. instead of saying
41 its too hard to do stable, lets just start really small. i think
42 stable package marking can help bootstrap and perhaps system packages.
43
44 matt
45 --
46 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list