From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Chan Kar Heng <chankarheng@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Gentoo Prefix on Android non rooted
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 04:19:29
1 Hi Chan,
2 (Cc Gentoo alt mailing list)
3
4 Chan Kar Heng <chankarheng@×××××.com> writes:
5
6 > I read about Gentoo Prefix & am interested to try it out on a non
7 > rooted device. Would it be possible for the tarballs to use
8 > /data/gentoo.prefix as path prefix instead? Or configurable?
9
10 The tarballs distributed from
11 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android/tarball are not designed
12 for non-root device.
13
14 There was work by xdej to let Gentoo Prefix work on non-root phone.
15
16 > Prebuilt tarballs need the path /data/gentoo, which can't be created
17 > without root user. I can however try to build a basic hello world apk
18 > with package name gentoo.prefix so that it creates /data/gentoo.prefix
19 > during install. I can also then make the app chmod 777
20 > /data/gentoo.prefix so that I can read write to that folde using
21 > anything else.
22
23 This is an interesting idea! You are encouraged to try it out. Please
24 spread the app in the mailing list so that we could test it.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Benda