From: Daniel Fabian <daniel.fabian@×××××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Newbie guide for X11 in Gentoo Prefix on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 17:17:21
1 Hello all,
2
3 I have successfully bootstrapped the Gentoo Prefix on my macs (both x64 and
4 a ppc), I can successfully emerge some cli apps like gentoolkit or links.
5 But as soon as I try emerging anything that has a gui, things seem to go
6 really awry. I tried getting porthole or kuroo4 as graphical package
7 managers (later i'd like to get firefox and lyx on my ppc).
8
9 I'm not perfectly sure what's wrong, but I guess it might be that I don't
10 have very reasonable USE flags for making this work.
11
12 Do you know of any newbie guide for getting to run some GUI applications on
13 Mac OS X or maybe at least some make.conf that would get me a headstart?
14 Also I found that one particular mesa package is masked with the comment,
15 that it's probably not very stable and one should use opengl-apple instead.
16 But emerge does not ask which one it should install, so I'm really not so
17 sure how to start.
18
19 Also... do I even need a separate xorg-server, given that I installed
20 XQuartz? Basically, I cannot really follow the X server setup guide,
21 because I am running on top of OS X and as such, I probably don't need
22 drivers, maybe not even the X server, etc. What I really care about, is the
23 ability to compile the application and then just use XQuartz to run it
24 afterwards.
25
26 Anyway, any help, be it some starter's document, some make.conf, some
27 general startegies, etc. is very much appreciateds.
28
29 Dany