From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:30:26
1 On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 00:30 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2
3 > So, since we are already in a hugely reactive mode..why don't we just
4 > get rid of prefix keywords completely?
5
6 Having the unstable keyword in an ebuild indicates that this package
7 should work on that platform - or more exactly, a previous version was
8 likely to at least compile there.
9
10 When there are no keywords, prefix-users won't see if they would need to
11 do a *new* port (or at least a test) for their platform or just to *fix*
12 an existing port. IMO the difference is that if one does not really need
13 a package, trying to *fix* might be a lower just-for-fun-barrier than to
14 do it *new*.
15
16 > It gets hairy if the arch most
17 > always needs patches (FreeMiNT/IRIX comes to mind). However, this is one
18 > reason that we ask for everyone's help in submitting patches upstream.
19
20 Dropping all keywords wont change anything here...
21
22 > Before anyone says "but, that will be much more likely to break my
23 > prefix" - I refute that because we are already running on this policy
24 > with regards to the automatic bumps. For the most part, it is smooth.
25 > Major packages are masked if someone hasn't tested them yet (eg. gcc & bash)
26
27 Agreed, but I like my keywords ;)
28
29 /haubi/