From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] profile moves
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:45:06
1 On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Soon we will move all profiles from the one location into the other.
5 > The short reason why we do this, is simply because gentoo-x86 has
6 > decided to restructure their profiles tree a while ago, and we best
7 > "follow" their structure. For Linux users this has the added advantage
8 > of inheriting the masks etc. from Gentoo Linux, which makes sense.
9 >
10 > Before we start deprecating the profiles, I'd like to ask the
11 > adventurous at heart to try out the new profiles and report if
12 > everything works (as normal).
13 >
14 > In order to do so execute the following operations using bash:
15 > $ cd ${EPREFIX}/etc/
16 > $ MYPROFILE=$(readlink make.profile)
17 > $ rm make.profile
18 > $ ln -s ${MYPROFILE/default-prefix/prefix} make.profile
19 >
20 > Then verify with `emerge --version` that your profile points to
21 > something starting with "prefix/XXXX" instead of "default-prefix/XXXX".
22 >
23 > Afterwards, all should work as before. Please report!
24
25 The bootstrap-prefix.sh script now creates the profile symlink to
26 these new profiles on every arch. I tested amd64-linux yesterday and
27 it should work with the current snapshot that I just bumped. The old
28 profiles are subject to deprecation at any time here so when you see
29 portage telling you that you should change your profile..that is what
30 is happening. *-linux is the biggest change, the rest of you probably
31 won't even notice a change when you switch.
32 -Jeremy