From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] OS X launchd DISPLAY environment variable
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:25:29
1 On 07-04-2009 02:10:24 -0400, John Gibson wrote:
2 > I recently upgraded to 10.5 and had to rebootstrap. After doing so,
3 > X11 apps installed to my prefix yielded errors like this:
4 > Can't connect to display `/tmp/launch-ICEBGq/:0': Invalid argument at...
5 >
6 > See here for some more info:
7 > http://lists.apple.com/archives/x11-users/2008/Nov/msg00089.html
8 >
9 > With xhost tweaking I got stuff to work by doing this:
10 > DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.
11 >
12 > I looked into the libX11 configure script and found this:
13 > --with-launchd Build with support for Apple's launchd
14 > (default:
15 > auto)
16 >
17 > Apparently the auto detection didn't work. I forced the switch on
18 > with a new USE flag (see the attached patch) and the launchd-specific
19 > DISPLAY variable worked.
20
21 Ok, nice!
22
23 > Is the USE flag the right approach? Can we default the switch to be
24 > on for macos?
25
26 Does it work on 10.4 as well? If so, we can just use a CHOST check for
27 *-darwin*, otherwise, just check for *-darwin9 and enable it based upon
28 that. I think it makes sense to enable it without USE-flag, provided
29 DISPLAY=:0.0 also still works when launchd socket support is enabled.
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level