From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Bug ID #321913 [was: Q: Process vis-a-vis a wider bug]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:02:19
1 >> gettext-0.18.1.1 has a script in gettext-tools/misc,
2 >> 'convert-archive.in' that has the shebang line of '#!/bin/sh', calling
3 >> the Solaris system Bourne Shell.  This obviously will not work on
4 >> Solaris 10, as '/bin/sh' really is the Bourne shell vs. linked bash on
5 >> Linux.
6
7 Hello Nadine and all,
8
9 it seems here was a prefix missing in the line. I had a similar
10 problem with a package of xz-utils where the prefix was missing in
11 scripts. It died due to QA complaints after it was fully compiled.
12
13 According to the technical documentation this problems origin in the
14 CVS $Header entry, which is often missing in bash scripts. The
15 documentation says they can happen daily during automated builds.
16
17 Even if the docs ask to send in a lot of bug reports I wounder if I
18 should send bugreports for this day to day problems. Don't get me
19 wrong. This is a general question and not a critic on Nadines
20 contribution.
21
22 Instead I want to discuss a more general solution. The first thing
23 that comes into mind, is to scan the first line of all text files in a
24 package for shebangs. In the primitive form simply listing those
25 files, in the more advanced form listing only those with a missing
26 prefix, in the advanced form fixing them automatically. If it can open
27 and repack the tar archive the user could run it himself before
28 emerging a package. Finally one could run such a script on the whole
29 prefix archive.
30
31 Does such a tool already exist.
32