From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] treewide changes: userland and ARCH settings
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:39:32
1 Hi all,
2
3 Our Gentoo/FreeBSD collegues are currently adding a lot of userland_GNU
4 conditional stuff into the main tree to move e.g. binaries like gawk out
5 of /bin into /usr/bin. This affects us too, since we do not have a GNU
6 userland according to the profiles. It's on my wishlist to make this
7 USERLAND="GNU" in prefix, but I held off the boat for now, because some
8 things in the tree assume there is e.g. a userland_Darwin thing. I
9 think this is the moment the switch will have to happen (look at the
10 uglyness in the sed ebuild around line 51 to see what happens if we
11 don't do this now). (Also note that that code snippet there could use
12 "use prefix" instead of the string compare.)
13
14 Second thing I ran into one or two days ago on Solaris is that currently
15 x86-solaris, x86-macos and x86 all have "use x86" resolving to true.
16 The same of course for ppc-macos, ppc-aix and ppc, for which "use ppc"
17 resolves to true. The reason for this is that we set ARCH to x86 or ppc
18 in the respective cases from above. Portage apparently maps this into a
19 USE expansion, hence use x86 works. To have use x86-macos working, we
20 have USE="x86-macos" etc. in our profiles. I suggest we dump the USE=
21 line and use ARCH=ppc-macos or similar so we just only get a use
22 expansion for our real keyword, and not just the arch. Since you
23 shouldn't use "use ppc-macos" in an ebuild EVER, I don't see problems.
24 What you use it for is in things like
25 SRC_URI="ppc-macos? ( some ppc-macos url )
26 x86? ( some x86-linux url )"
27
28 So, I plan to make the above changes at once and see what happens. Any
29 comments or visions on gaping holes which I might oversee?
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level
35 --
36 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list