From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Names of Prefix variants
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:54:55
1 It's bikeshedding time.
2
3 The RAP project (prefix with libc) is now ready to start getting merged into
4 gx86 and (if necessary) prefix overlay, thus giving it some form of official
5 status. Part of that job is writing new profiles for RAP, and adding USE
6 flags allowing ebuilds to distinguish between the two variants of prefix:
7 classic, and RAP. For both purposes, we need names for the two variants, and
8 preferably clear and descriptive names too.
9
10 For the profiles, the plan is to add profiles
11 default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix/$classic and
12 default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix/$rap, possibly with one of the two variants
13 being default and thus renamed to default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix;
14 default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix/$classic would symlink to prefix/linux/$arch,
15 or vice versa, and default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix/$rap would be the all-new
16 RAP profile. (They will probably have a considerable amount of shared
17 structure factored out, but that's another matter.)
18
19 For the USE flags, there are a handful of ebuilds that need to distinguish
20 between prefix classic and prefix RAP: the toolchains work differently, and
21 the fact that RAP doesn't have /usr/include, /lib, and /usr/lib as valid
22 search paths causes complications for some packages. To support this, the
23 plan is to introduce two new global USE flags, prefix-$classic and
24 prefix-$rap, both of which are masked in the base profile and selectively
25 unmasked in the different prefix profiles.
26
27 For both purposes, we need names for the two variants. The names should have
28 the property that their meaning should be reasonably clear to the
29 uninitiated, not too ugly, and somewhat accurately describe the difference
30 between the two versions. Specifically, reading the two profile names should
31 give you a good indication of which one to choose, and seeing `if use
32 prefix-$classic` in an ebuild should give the reader a fairly good idea of
33 what's going on.
34
35 During development, we've been using the name "prefix-rpath" for classic,
36 and "prefix-libc" and "rap" for rap. Of those, I think prefix-rpath is
37 acceptable, but could be improved; the other two are just bad, as far as I'm
38 concerned, and should be replaced.
39
40 I propose "prefix-native" for rap as an alternative. Does anyone have any good
41 ideas for classic prefix?
42
43 -- Ruud