From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:54:53
1 On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 09:34 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Markus Duft <mduft@g.o> wrote:
3 > > this whole proposal would fix multiple problems:
4 > >
5 > > 1) main and prefix keywords are different, but thats ok if prefix
6 > > keywords are PREFIX_KEYWORDS - we could do our own thing here.
7 > >
8 > > 2) it would solve the problem "how does portage know which packages can
9 > > i merge in a prefixed environment" - no need to trigger based on
10 > > inherit, EAPI - or something worse :)
11 > >
12 > > 3) it would ease porting to prefix: simply allow merging main ebeuilds
13 > > in prefix by adding GENTOO to the ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS.
14 > >
15 > > 4) it would make gentoo a "real" meta distro as haubi said, since
16 > > gentoo's (linux or prefix) "consumers" can do their own thing with
17 > > keywords completely different from ours. it would be no problem to use -
18 > > for example - keywords like "mduft" and "haubi" (lol), as long as they
19 > > are (fex) SALOMON_KEYWORDS.
20 > >
21 > > what about forwarding this thread to portage-dev@?
22 >
23 > I'm having trouble formulating a response to haubi's point because it
24 > is highly divergent to my main goal(s) here.
25 >
26 > a) I want non prefix devs[1] to write ebuilds that work in prefix.
27 > But, without knowledge of how Gentoo Prefix works - they shouldn't
28 > need to know.
29 > b) The current strategy of Gentoo Prefix keywords is if it compiles on
30 > one arch, it generally will compile on the rest. (Not always true, but
31 > mostly true)
32
33 this is mostly untrue for at least a few platforms haubi and i am
34 working on...
37 > So, in response to the above points. If we had PREFIX_KEYWORDS, it
38 > should _default_ to all and then react to a failure. As in:
39 > PREFIX_KEYWORDS="* -x86-interix"
40
41 that would be an option, but i'm unsure if that would be more or less
42 work/trouble to fight with than the current situation. maybe that would
43 work.
44
45 Cheers, Markus
48 > -Jeremy
49 >
50 > [1]: There is no way that the current Prefix dev team can handle all
51 > the ebuilds in the main tree. We need to leverage work that other
52 > people are already doing - similar to the way linux prefix profiles
53 > are inheriting gentoo-x86 profiles. We use the {x86,amd64,ia64} arch
54 > teams work to save us from duplicating it.
55 >