From: Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Crossdev in a prefix / bug 384167
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:57:25
1 On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Sorry, resending for the list. forgot to swap aliases...
3 >
4 > On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:27:59PM -0700, Greg Turner wrote:
5 >> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> > On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 03:17:44AM -0700, gmt@×××××.us wrote:
7 >> > > I have crossdev starting to work in a prefix, via an overlay.
8 >> [snip]
9 >> > I'd be particularly interested on building arm and powerpc toolchains on
10 >> > OSX.
11 >>
12 >> Most likely these will require additional patching to sys-libs/uclibc
13 >> or whatever ELIBC corresponds to your particular targets/ARCH's of
14 >> interest. Indeed, a quick test of crossdev
15 >> =cross-arm-linux-uclibc/uclibc-0.9.33.2-r4 confirms this ("Aborting
16 >> due to QA concerns: there are files installed outside the prefix").
17 >
18 > The C library isn't that critical to me, but it would eventually be
19 > useful. On my gentoo system I currently have
20 >
21 > arm-none-linux-gnueabi
22 > powerpc-none-linux-gnueabi
23 > i586-pc-linux-gnu
24
25 Unfortunately the libc ebuild is a semi-required part of the crossdev
26 build process, which makes sense when you consider that the gcc build
27 system needs to know how to link, i.e., libstdc++.a.
28
29 > I'd previously tried to do gentoo prefix on my macbook air as a
30 > replacement for macports and to get crossdev. Didn't work out so well.
31 > :-/
32
33 Well you know what they say, 3333rd time's the charm :)
34
35 >> You sound like you have some real-world uses for this, Jason --
36 >
37 > I primarily putz around with kernel and bootloader development. Which
38 > is why I'm not too worried about the C library.
39
40 For these purposes you might be able to get away with letting crossdev
41 build the stage1 gcc and then fail. Even so, it's probably not
42 terribly hard to fix the libc stuff, and regardless, clearly, such
43 efforts fall under the general umbrella of "tasks needed to make
44 crossdev work in a prefix".
45
46 >> perhaps, once I have an overlay set up, you could do some
47 >> guinea-pigging for me?
48 >
49 > No problem, I can switch the MBA back to gentoo prefix if it means I
50 > might get crossdev on it ;-)
51
52 Groovy. Unfortunately, ATM, I don't have access to any reasonable
53 bare-metal computers and am doing all my Gentoo development on the
54 gcc-compile-farm boxes via my surprisingly usable 8-year-old
55 ultrabook... anyhow, once I get back online with a real computer, I
56 can spin up an OSX vm, which should help tremendously with this --
57 although, admittedly, were it not for being forced to do everything on
58 the gcc-compile-farm, I probably wouldn't have gone to all this
59 trouble in the first place (A huge thank you is due to the gcc farm
60 and fsffrance for providing an amazing resource... I'd be dead in the
61 water, without them, while I sort out my ongoing perfect storm of --
62 not exaggerating -- quadruple simultaneous motherboard failures).
63
64 > I will have to put my trees into a dmg that is case-sensitive *and*
65 > case-preserving, by default OSX root filesystem isn't.
66
67 fyp, I've been playing with various windows ARCH's for a while and
68 have managed to break more than a few Windows installations by turning
69 on case-sensitivity. Wish I'd thought of sticking it in a loopback
70 filesystem (which is what I presume you describe above) -- I probably
71 could have saved many lost hours that way. Actually I'm surprised to
72 hear that OSX doesn't have case-sensitivity by default, given it's
73 BSDish roots.
74
75 >> Can you share some particulars of your use-case (bearing in mind that
76 >> I haven't played with embedded for quite a while and might not know
77 >> some things that seem quite obvious to someone who, i.e., owns a
78 >> raspberry pi or an android phone)?
79 >
80 > I primarily build kernels for the Marvell line of SoCs. Kirkwood, dove,
81 > and new Armada. Occasionally, omap. You can find the Marvell SoCs in a
82 > lot of consumer-grade NAS's, and omap is in the Beaglebone Black, and a
83 > bunch of other stuff.
84 >
85 > Once you get an overlay acct, let me know what it is and I'll test away.
86
87 Will do, thanks in advance! I may also bug you again to help decode
88 some of the above ;) Thankfully I do at least still have access to
89 Google.
90
91 > If you haven't already, you may want to Cc Mike Frysinger
92 > (vapier@g.o), as he may be able to offer pointers on crossdev.
93 > He did write it and all. :)
94
95 ACK, although I think he reads or at least skims gentoo-alt.
96 Certainly, once I'm able to coherently ask for an evaluation of the
97 specific changes I've made to =sys-devel/crossdev-99999999, I'll make
98 sure he's aware of it.
99
100 -gmt