From: Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] The lost case of OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:30:48
1 Fabian Groffen <mailto:grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think I'll give up on bootstrapping on OpenBSD. Not only is the
3 > machine (Athlon64X2 3800+) with OpenBSD slower than my Solaris/Sparc
4 > 502MHz machine, but both binutils and GCC appear to not know anything
5 > about the target x86_64-pc-openbsd4.2... So I guess I quit with it.
6 >
7 > Next thing to try is NetBSD4.0 or something. I hope it's less slow,
8 > as it is no fun when a fast machine is demoted to an old Sparc by some
9 > piece of software.
10 >
11 > I also installed SFU (Interix 3.5) on a Windows2000 installation (it
12 > feels even faster...) and was wondering, is there a guide somewhere
13
14 lol. If interix is faster than something else then the other thing is
15 realy sloow :)
16
17 > how to bootstrap on Interix? I already hit my first windows
18 > experience; it claims the telnet server is running, but it definitely
19 > isn't: no ports opened, and also their own telnet client can't
20 > connect...
21
22 There is the prefix-launcher installation WIKI [1], which could be
23 followed for interix too, but right now the prefix-launcher release is a
24 little too old. I use a SVN checkout of prefix-launcher, which then can
25 be built like this:
26
27 (in the prefix-launcher source dir):
28 gmake install PREFIX=/path/to/prefix-launcher/prefix DISTTYPE=SNAPSHOT
29
30 The disttype thing is to keep it from thinking it's a developer build
31 since it was checked out. The prefix default is /usr/local/ where it
32 would create a prefix-launcher-1pre.<date> directory.
33
34 The rest can be done as described in the prefix-launcher bootstrap WIKI
35 [2]. Hope this works, i'm just about to bootstrap a new prefix again
36 too, but have problems with the SHA256 hashes, since prefix-launcher
37 uses python 2.4 (argl...). The currently only solution i have is
38 deleting any manifest that produces hash failures.
39
40 Also most of the things i recently submitted to haubi for checkin are
41 tested on interix 5.2 (SUA, win 2003 R2 only) only - i'm working on 3.5
42 :) so far only system is really tested.
43
44 [1]
45 http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/howto+install+prefix+launche
46 r