From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Stating officially with Cygwin
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:04:45
1 > A small case study:
2 > ~x86-interix support, "currently broken" quote from the lead dev. Not likely
3 > to get fixed soon. Causes headaches when trying to migrate packages to
4 > Gentoo Linux.
5
6 I wonder what is wrong with interix as it is that similar to Cygwin.
7 There are two points that come into my mind:
8
9 1.) Why do QA-warnings in misc-functions.sh kill emerges?
10
11 I have to disable thi line, that makes it all die. Else every third
12 package would break. In my understanding a warning is a warning and no
13 reason to become a blocker. Do I understand something wrong there? Do
14 I maybe still use an outdated script?
15
16 2.) gen_usr_ldscript() in toolchain-funcs.eclass
17
18 # @FUNCTION: gen_usr_ldscript
19 # @USAGE: [-a] <list of libs to create linker scripts for>
21 # This function generate linker scripts in /usr/lib for dynamic
22 # libs in /lib. This is to fix linking problems when you have
23 # the .so in /lib, and the .a in /usr/lib. What happens is that
24 # in some cases when linking dynamic, the .a in /usr/lib is used
25 # instead of the .so in /lib due to gcc/libtool tweaking ld's
26 # library search path. This causes many builds to fail.
27 # See bug #4411 for more info.
28
29 This functions creates symlinks to fix the order in which dynamic
30 libraries are found with a realtion to libtool. The curious thing is,
31 that this mechanism doesn't exist on windows. Windows simply uses
32 $PATH to find the dynamic libraries. Nonetheless, there is code in
33 this function for interix and winnt.
34
35 Is this a mere mistake or is the function highjacked to do something
36 slightly different in the case of Interix. I would consider to simply
37 return at the beginnig of the function for windows stuff.
38
39 Al