From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] multilib vs. prefix
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 09:07:19
1 On 14-06-2013 13:40:48 -0700, gmt@×××××.us wrote:
2 > Anyhow, I’m wondering, is there somebody out there who knows what is behind
3 > the decision to mask multilib in prefix-portage (or made it themselves), and
4 > what it would take to fix it?  By any chance, does the limitation pertain to
5 > mostly to gcc-config and the special prefix magic that happens in the
6 > dynamically generated gcc wrappers?
7
8 multilib is inherently broken as a full system. The
9 compiler/linker/libc/kernel should be to be able to build/run both, but
10 for Prefix, you better bootstrap two prefixes. This has to do with
11 libraries and executables not being multilib (but rather two different
12 versions) and the mess that comes out of having them coexist next to
13 each other properly.
14
15 Honestly, the fat file approach of Mach-O (say, OSX) really is the only
16 thing that works sanely here given that the packager (Apple in this
17 case) really made sure it works out all fine. If you wonder why that
18 approach works so well, then ask yourself why we have all this lib,
19 lib32, lib64, lib32o, lib32n, lib/64, lib/sparcv9, lib/amd64, etc. etc.
20 and basically only binaries of one type.
21
22 Fabian
25 Fabian Groffen
26 Gentoo on a different level