From: Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: if I install package nghttp2 v 1.0.36.0-2 in debian buster can gentoo prefix use it
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 18:24:38
1 Many thanks for your advice here.
2
3 As it turns out I also have a separate gentoo conventional
4 installation on the same machine.
5
6 If I login to the ordinary gentoo install and then run emerge nghttp2
7 on it and it works (since I am not running gentoo prefix and its
8 specific bug problem)
9 could I then take the compiled binary and copy it into the gentoo
10 prefix install on the debian OS and get it to recognise it and use it?
11
12 Comments appreciated.
13
14 Regards
15
16 MF
19 > You have two entirely separate systems here .. your Debian one knows
20 > nothing of the Gentoo prefix you have installed, and vice versa. Apt cannot
21 > resolve dependencies of Portage, and Portage can't see your Apt repository
22 > either. (Disclaimer: there are probably some nasty hacks to achieve some
23 > partial compatibility, but you're completely on-your-own if you choose this
24 > path!).
25 >
26 > For what you are trying to do, you would need to install nghttp in your
27 > Gentoo prefix, not in Debian .. but I'm not sure that would necessarily
28 > help with your root cause, but you can try none-the-less.
29 >