From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] You too? youtoo!
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:47:02
2 > I found that with Cygwin 1.7.x you need to use i686-pc-cygwin1.7 as
3 > CHOST, so the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does so accordingly.
4 > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html
7 Meanwhile I think that i686-pc-cygwin would be the better choice.
8
9 Reasons:
10
11 1.) This patch for config.guess has been rejected upstream, according
12 to Eric Blake:
13
14 http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html
15
16 Running config.guess on cygwin 1.7.7 still intentionally produces:
17 i686-pc-cygwin
18
19 2.) Names of Cygwins compilers:
20
21 i686-pc-cygwin-c++-4.exe
22 i686-pc-cygwin-g++-4.exe
23 i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.3.4.exe
24 i686-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe
25 i686-pc-cygwin-c++.exe
26 i686-pc-cygwin-g++.exe
27 i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.exe
28
29 3.) Breaking packages (before we build our own gcc as
30 i686-pc-cygwin-gcc1.7.exe):
31
32 libiconv and gettext break with i686-pc-cygwin1.7 and need i686-pc-cygwin.
33
34 zlib is a special case. When the CHOST doesn't match a compiler,
35 configure runs into working default settings, else it switches to the
36 CYGWIN case, which settings are not sane and break.
37
38 Al
41 Caution crosser:  Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
42 All stupid questions are related to that context.