From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Portage sync on demand
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 20:03:46
1 Hi Lucas,
2
3 I think gentoo-alt has more expertise to solve the problems.
4
5 Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94@×××××.com> writes:
6
7 > So on unprivileged devices, I have been installing portage directly in
8 > Termux and I have been having issues when attempting to checkout the
9 > main tree. It's way too big! I don't have ~2GB+ just for ebuilds.
10 >
11 > It would be nice if I could run emerge and it would dynamically parse
12 > the tree for dependencies and then fetch and build them without
13 > installing them locally.
14
15 Yes, that's a good-to-have.
16
17 I am interpreting "installing them" as installing the gentoo portage
18 tree.
19
20 > I've used nfs and sshfs for mounting a remote tree
21
22 I would go this way when in short of storage.
23
24 > but I think it would be kind of awesome to use git directly.
25
26 > This would be useful for working on rooting exploits on the fly. I
27 > know Termux has support for Metasploit but it's ruby-based and pretty
28 > heavy. Still not as bad as compiling perl though.
29
30 It is a pain in the ass to use a phone without root. I will avoid it
31 when I buy a phone.
32
33 At the same time I understand that your effort will help those who stuck
34 in Android normal user jails.
35
36 > Also, I am still trying to figure out a reliable way to run a
37 > unprivileged Gentoo RAP. So far I have tested
38 > `/data/data/{com.termux,org.connectbot,jackpal.androidterm}` but I
39 > assume any other terminal emulator will work. Is it not possible to
40 > use a relative or dynamic path?
41
42 Our IRC channel #gentoo-prefix freenode had a lot of discussions on
43 relocating Gentoo Prefix. The conclusion is that portage has support
44 for it built in, but outdated and need some extra love.
45
46 Yours,
47 Benda