From: heroxbd@g.o
To: Schoopy <schoopy@×××××××.ch>
Cc: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: RAP working with bootstrap-rap.sh
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:10:49
1 Hey Thierry,
2 Ccing gentoo-alt,
3
4 Schoopy <schoopy@×××××××.ch> writes:
5
6 > You will find the modification I brought to the bootstrap script to
7 > have it working under both a synology and a standard
8 > gentoo.
9
10 Great!
11
12 > Everything is available at the following URL:
13 > http://lausanne.isb-sib.ch/˜tschuepb/rap
14
15 The url redirects me to
16
17 http://www.isb-sib.ch/groups/lausanne.html
18
19 anything wrong?
20
21 > Currently I am trying to figure out how to install it fast from a
22 > binary package server. Files can be found under
23 > rap/binpkg/software/amdfam10. It is not yet working and still needs
24 > some modifications inside the bootstrap_portage function especially to
25 > set the correct profile (make.profile) and other portage config files.
26 > Standart procedure as described on the gentoo wiki is not correct in
27 > this case as one needs to first apply bootstrap tree and then
28 > portage.
29
30 Which procedure on gentoo wiki are you referring exactly?
31
32 > After that I am a bit stuck as the binary packages are linked together
33 > to glibc, readline, gdbm, etc...
34
35 Not sure of this, I've never tried binary package.
36
37 I only used distcc-pump to help weak boxes compiling.
38
39 > Maybe you can help on that one. Feel free to test from the above
40 > mentionned URL.
41 > At last I would like your expertise on how one may deploy a prefix
42 > with possibility to have it configure for many kinds of CFLAGS. Our
43 > cluster currently has many kinds of intel and AMD models and I would
44 > like to find the easiest way of having it deployed.
45
46 I myself have many variants of Intel and arm boxes. The way of me is to
47 keep a central directory of make.conf.HOST via unison, and symlink
48 make.conf.HOST to EPREFIX/etc/portage/make.conf.
49
50 use "include make.conf.common" in make.conf to manage common settings,
51 too.
52
53 > I could of course do a prefix per architecture and have it mounted on
54 > the same path but I figured that using crossdev within prefix libc
55 > could be more interesting to create binary packahes without the burden
56 > to always change prefix.
57
58 Crossdev on Prefix and cross compiling Prefix packages is explored by me
59 to some extent, while limited to toolchain packages only.
60
61 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android/build#Cross_Build
62
63 Going beyond toolchain, even within @system would be too difficult, the
64 smart build systems of perl and python will always drive you crazy
65 trying to cross compile.
66
67 I am not sure what "change prefix" means. But if you want to maintain
68 Prefix instances with different EPREFIX, recompiling is inevitable
69 AFAIK.
70
71 > At last I intent to deploy module environment, and was thinking about
72 > creating an eclass to overload some functions so that sci-biology for
73 > example, may automatically be going through the creation of module
74 > config files and placed in an environment variable path.
75
76 Do you mean a ebuild built into a directory prefix other than EPREFIX?
77
78 It can be readily achieved by
79
80 emerge --prefix='/some/other/prefix' sci-biology/nice-package
81
82 expect bugs though.
83
84 Hope it helps,