From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Restructuring the bootstrap (or: getting rid of gcc 4.2)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 19:35:37
1 On 02-02-2014 18:34:38 +0100, Ruud Koolen wrote:
2 > Can you elaborate? As far as I know, gmp/mpfr/mpc will compile everywhere
3 > (unlike, say, glibc, which really does have a recent-gcc dependency). Can you
4 > give a specific example of these libraries not compiling on any platform
5 > prefix supports?
6
7 This is unrelated to libraries. This is related to compilers (the
8 toolchain) not coping with syntax or features used by the software.
9
10 > > I'm not against this, but I think hacks will have to remain in order to
11 > > allow Darwin and Solaris (amongst others) targets to stay working.  In
12 > > particular the case of outdated tools is something you seem not to take
13 > > into account, which severly limits your options.
14 >
15 > But gcc and friends are specifically designed to be buildable on any
16 > ridiculous old system, and the use of other tools hasn't changed between my
17 > bootstrap process and the current one. Again, can you elaborate and give a
18 > concrete example?
19
20 Let me see if I can build latest gcc on Solaris for you on a vanilla
21 system.
22
23 Fabian
27 Fabian Groffen