From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Installing python library to multiple Python slots - Possible??
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:07:21
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 15-07-2008 18:25:41 +1200, Derek Harland wrote:
3 >> I've googled quite a bit but haven't been able to find any information on
4 >> how I might emerge a python library (such as numpy, egenix, basically
5 >> anything in dev-python/*) for *both* python2.5 and python2.4.
6 >
7 > My knowledge fails here. You'd have to get a hold of Gentoo's Python
8 > team and ask this to them, sorry.
9
10 I have already asked them actually because I needed to do the exact same
11 thing. Basically, there is two options. a) Look into INSTALL_MASK in
12 profile.bashrc or b) hack the ebuild to do the equivalent of "for i in
13 $PYTHON_VERSION; do $i setup.py install; done"
14
15 The latter option was too much work for me and I needed a "now fix" so I
16 did "ebuild <python module> unpack; cd $S; python2.4 setup.py install"
17 where my usr/bin/python was a symlink to python2.5. This, as you can
18 imagine, might cause file collisions, broken behavior, etc. But it did
19 work for me.
20
21 Please use the above advice cautiously and definately don't ask for help
22 with the above method from the python team. ;) It is a bad thing to
23 install apps and bypass portage.
24
25 -Jeremy
26 --