From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] keywordings for x86 linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:21:56
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:00 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 04-04-2007 18:33:04 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> > And this also works: > > > > dev-libs/libiconv-1.11 > > keyworded now
Ah, thanks!
> > > Now you think wth I need libiconv on linux. > > > > Well, I'm currently trying the profile on linux having ELIBC="linux" > > instead of ELIBC="glibc", to avoid stray dependencies on glibc, because > > I don't want to have any libc in prefix. > > Sounds good. Do you suggest using ELIBC=linux in prefix by default > here?
Yes, at least as an option to be discussed. <discussion on ELIBC="linux">
> > > IMO the easiest way is to say ELIBC="linux" - I've already > > empty-remerged system using this profile. > > > > Maybe virtual/libiconv could avoid a dependency on dev-libs/libiconv for > > elibc_linux, but that's just an optimization. > > Why avoid? If you don't want to know about the installed glibc, you > need libiconv if you do iconv stuff, right?
I treat this as elibc_linux++. Some more questions to think of when deciding to use GNU libiconv on linux (if answer='yes' then I'd say elibc_linux++): Does uclibc lack (good) libiconv ? Are there other libc's possible for linux than glibc and uclibc ? Are there old glibc's around with bad libiconv implementations ? If we do not use elibc_linux, and uclibc lacks libiconv, then maybe we need to know of elibc_uclibc too in prefix... </discussion on ELIBC="linux"> /haubi/ -- Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstraße 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz UID-NR:ATU28654300 - Firmenbuchnummer: 49324 K Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz -- gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] elibc on linux Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>