From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Proposal: use git instead of rsync for syncing of prefix portage tree
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:03:45
On 22-01-2012 15:13:07 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> > > 22.01.2012, 00:55, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@g.o>: > > On 21-01-2012 23:44:18 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote: > > > >>  Advantage: much faster emerge --sync > > > > proof? > > Well... I realize that I should put some benchmark here, however > I thought this is just a common sense. If you ever used git, you should > know that e.g. if almost nothing has changed on remote (regular update), > sync time will approach zero, but rsync always needs to iterate through > all ebuilds to check if each file doesn't change separately.
robbat2 had some interesting stats on this that for the average user, rsync will be actually more efficient.
> Funtoo was already mentioned; team of Calculate Linux reports that > after they switched to git for portage syncing, speed increased significantly.
From what, rsync? A developer's usage is different from a user's usage.
> >>  Possible migration path: > >>  1) git init in master mirror of prefix portage tree > >>  2) deliver files of initial .git repository via rsync > > > > the prefix neither the main tree aren't even in git, so it would only be > > artificial bloat that keeps history > > If you used git you should know that "bloat" is not significant. It's not SVN :)
I use git, and it stores history. This is the bloat I'm referring to.
> with a non-existing/hard upgrade > > path that's going to disappear as soon as we no longer need our overlay > > Sorry, I haven't thought of it. Is there upgrade path from rsync btw?
No, neither is there one forseen as necessary. Simple practical problem: we have rsync slaves now, but not git slaves, neither can we turn them into git slaves. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level