From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Proposal: use git instead of rsync for syncing of prefix portage tree
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:03:45
1 On 22-01-2012 15:13:07 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
4 > 22.01.2012, 00:55, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@g.o>:
5 > > On 21-01-2012 23:44:18 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
6 > >
7 > >>  Advantage: much faster emerge --sync
8 > >
9 > > proof?
10 >
11 > Well... I realize that I should put some benchmark here, however
12 > I thought this is just a common sense. If you ever used git, you should
13 > know that e.g. if almost nothing has changed on remote (regular update),
14 > sync time will approach zero, but rsync always needs to iterate through
15 > all ebuilds to check if each file doesn't change separately.
16
17 robbat2 had some interesting stats on this that for the average user,
18 rsync will be actually more efficient.
19
20 > Funtoo was already mentioned; team of Calculate Linux reports that
21 > after they switched to git for portage syncing, speed increased significantly.
22
23 From what, rsync? A developer's usage is different from a user's usage.
24
25 > >>  Possible migration path:
26 > >>  1) git init in master mirror of prefix portage tree
27 > >>  2) deliver files of initial .git repository via rsync
28 > >
29 > > the prefix neither the main tree aren't even in git, so it would only be
30 > > artificial bloat that keeps history
31 >
32 > If you used git you should know that "bloat" is not significant. It's not SVN :)
33
34 I use git, and it stores history. This is the bloat I'm referring to.
35
36 > with a non-existing/hard upgrade
37 > > path that's going to disappear as soon as we no longer need our overlay
38 >
39 > Sorry, I haven't thought of it. Is there upgrade path from rsync btw?
40
41 No, neither is there one forseen as necessary.
42
43 Simple practical problem: we have rsync slaves now, but not git slaves,
44 neither can we turn them into git slaves.
48 Fabian Groffen
49 Gentoo on a different level